The Communicant process is for students in 6th, 7th, and 8th grades who are interested in learning more about church membership.
All interested students and their parents are invited to attend a Fall Meet and Greet which gives an overview of the January Communicant Classes. Each student is paired with an Elder-Sponsor who shepherds them throughout the Communicant process whether or not they choose to join the church.
January Communicant Classes are held the last four Sundays of January in Miller Hall from 4:45 – 5:30 p.m. with a fellowship meal following. The classes are taught by our Senior Pastor and study the five questions of church membership. All 6th – 8th graders are encouraged to attend the classes whether or not they intend to become a member. Only one absence is allowed. The missed class must be made-up by listening to the class online together with their elder. The decision to go through the joining process is left to the individual parents and children. Please bring a Bible and a pencil. Nursery/childcare is available upon request for siblings ages 5th grade and under.
Note: Sixth grade students study the book Understanding the Faith by Stephen Smallman during the fall semester of Sunday School. This study prepares the students for making a public confession of faith.
For prospective students that wish to attend January’s Communicant classes, please return the completed Communicant Class Prospective New Member Form to the Children’s Director:
For detailed information about joining FPC please see Steps to Church Membership:
For questions about the Communicant Process or to contact the Children’s Director please call (601)353-8316.
5 Questions of Membership
- Do you acknowledge yourselves to be sinners in the sight of God, justly deserving His displeasure, and without hope save in His sovereign mercy?
- Do you believe in the Lord Jesus Christ as the Son of God, and Savior of sinners, and do you receive and rest upon Him alone for salvation as He is offered in the Gospel?
- Do you now resolve and promise, in humble reliance upon the grace of the Holy Spirit, that you will endeavor to live as becomes the followers of Christ?
- Do you promise to support the Church in its worship and work to the best of your ability?
- Do you submit yourselves to the government and discipline of the Church, and promise to study its purity and peace?